a Tiny description

a full time artist, stepmother, radio personality, and mom to an energetic Chug dog, tries to get through the days without committing a felonious act. My life is a rickety Zen circus.

____________________________________________________________________

Monday, December 19, 2011

be aware today: whatever you put out from yourself, takes on life. harsh words to someone - they don't end there. even after an apology. the hurt person may have called someone to cry on their shoulder, so now there are 2 people affected by your outburst. and then the 3rd person in this ripple-effect gets in a bad mood and reacts badly to others and on and on. conversely, smiling at someone, or complimenting them, or letting them ahead of you in traffic or the grocery store...that goodness breeds goodness and it ripples even quicker. bad is heavier. I remember the Starbucks phenomenon here...My husband would often be given Starbucks gift cards by reps he worked with. He would pass them on to me. on my way into work, I'd go to the SB drive-thru and pay for my order, and the car behind me. one time the girl at the window jumped up and down, clapping her hands & calling some other employees over. she said one day the "pass it on" phenomenon went on for 2 hours or more, with each car getting a free order paid for by the car in front of them. love it! this morning my mother called me early and began filling my ear with a chaotic tumbler of urgent and bad news not involving her, and that i had no way of changing, and only upset my stomach. the pumpkin pancakes were dumped into the trash, and a frown creased my face. husband was racing through the house trying to pack for his work week away. I was grepsing and grumpy to him. he yelled at the dog. the cat threw up. fa-la-la-la-la. He & I apologized. i took a hot shower to reconnect with my heart and wash the chaos out. the dog got a treat. i still had to clean up after the cat. i could use a free starbucks right now :) be good, be kind, smile more today, and be sensitive to the calling of the universe to do one deed so incredibly good that you wonder how the universe ever picked you to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Need to tattoo this one on my heart. Thank you my friend.

BJ Lantz said...

This is soooo true, and I am afraid I have been the perpetrator of some passing on the bad lately. My mom & I have had a bit of a ridiculous falling out right before Thanksgiving and I am afraid I have shared it with a few too many. Probably because I was looking for comfort and validation ~ but I can see how while this might help me in some ways, it is detrimental to others. Thank you for this reminder to be more mindful of what the heck we're putting out there.

Incidentally, this is also why I no longer read the newspaper or watch the news everyday ~ too much bad and sad that I can do nothing about, but hearing about it affects me negatively, so I stopped participating. If something big happens that I should know about, I'll hear about it.