a Tiny description

a full time artist, stepmother, radio personality, and mom to an energetic Chug dog, tries to get through the days without committing a felonious act. My life is a rickety Zen circus.

____________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

In the past few weeks, I've had many conversations with some artists and small business owners that I know. They've expressed the same emotions (in varying degrees) about the coming holidays (have you heard the christmas music already in the stores??). the range goes from cautiously hopeful, to flop-sweat-scared. yes, it's a bad economy for nearly everyone, or so the papers & TV & radio tell us. yes, my household is getting by, but just that...no trips to St. Thomas & the P.Diddy mansion this year, for sure. Maybe a splurge on a weekend away nearby, but excess just feels vulgar to me right now. But in those conversations, a running theme appeared...the frustration that, although the General Speak is about sustainability and buying local and such, they, as artists & craftspeople, are not seeing it in their order histories. They are closing up shop, so to speak, and pulling up their tents from festivals, vendor opportunities and shops. Their work, regrettably will no longer be offered at the events we enjoy throughout the good weather days. This summer, I observed...being new to the art & craft festival scene, i paid particular attention to what people were buying - if anything - and which events drew the crowds. Many of the heavily attended events had fewer artisans showing their work this year than in any year past. Many fine craftspeople had already said that the hard work of getting to the event, setting up their booth and display, paying for their booth space, a hotel room and meals, and staffing the booth - all that - just wasn't worth it to them when the pluses and minuses were added up. "Maybe they aren't making things people want," you may say..."or maybe they haven't gotten the word out that they exist," is another thought. But the conversations I've had are with some of the most incredible writers and artists and small business owners...they have done everything they can think of to try to promote themselves, all-the-while making their craft or running their store, and running a household, and all that goes into being a small business owner/artist/writer/etc. They look at some of their fellow small biz friends who seem to be living the Vida Loca, and it makes them feel worse, and ashamed, and doubting of their incredible skill/talent/niche in this world. I don't know what the answers are, I really don't. I would say, on their behalf as well as my own, buy local or buy small biz. The website or small shop or small gallery you enjoy visiting may not be there for you, without your support. My dad always bought Girl Scout cookies or raffle tickets hawked by the kids who came to the door. He wanted to be sure he was supporting something that needed his help, and to be fair - he loved those cookies! Sometimes even a note to the craftsperson/small business/etc saying something like "i love your work, and hope to be able to purchase some someday" is enough to get people through. no, it won't pay the rent, but as small business people, knowing they are visible and appreciated can mean a big huge lot. Maybe it's the bronchitis making me all sentimental today, but i say this to my fellow artists: be true, be authentic, keep on. it isn't an easy life we've chosen, but it is the one we were born to do. As I write this, I'm wondering if i've done enough to help you get to know some of the amazing people i know. Maybe in the coming weeks, I'll introduce you to some of my friends...some, amazing successes, and some just dipping their toes into this crazy life. for today - i wish you Godwinks and good food. Linda

1 comment:

BJ Lantz said...

Hi Linda ~ I went to a local art show this past weekend ~ one with a very long history in the area and I was amazed at the quality (or lack thereof) of the exhibitors. Where had they all gone? I questioned whether the show just wasn't attracting quality applicants anymore, or if they have (the quality ones) had just tightened their collective belts and cut back on shows, or if the show management was curating more as a craft (not in a good way) show. It made me sad either way. BUT, I did purchase two lovely handmade pair of earrings from an amazing designer who shows up once in a blue moon at different shows. I am always tickled to find her because her work is so me and amazingly reasonable.