a Tiny description

a full time artist, stepmother, radio personality, and mom to an energetic Chug dog, tries to get through the days without committing a felonious act. My life is a rickety Zen circus.

____________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

it may be the upcoming holidays that have made me feel the need for clarity and groundedness...if i don't hold fast to who i am, then it will be as much of a hot mess as it usually is. as in many relationships, our families don't blend well, which has left me in the center being pulled this way and that. last year, i stepped out of that and spent a fantastic thankgiving hosted by my brother...small, intimate, and wonderful. i was not responsible for anything - i was not the guardian of any one's good time, nor was i the kitchen police...all i had to do was show up. just me. there were a thousand moments large & small that came to try to steal this day of gentleness, but i rebuffed them after having made up my mind to go forward. i feel constantly torn between what i should do, and what i want to do. and yet, inside, i feel that i am authentic to myself (okay - cliche alert - it's early and i don't have much time). so therein lies the First Dilemma how can i be authentic if i am constantly disappointing myself with my choices? in the long run, yes, the easiest choice by far is to host here...i say easiest, but it's also the hardest. easiest in the afterward, but most difficult to go through, with people you'd rather not engage with on any given day coming into my home, dragging their chaos and drama with them, and not leaving until they're good and ready to. and this year's chaos & drama promises to be kicked up a few notches as most of the players have been at odds most of the year. i hadn't expected to go off on holiday dinners, but i think an inkling is popping through - i have acquiesced to my husband's wish to try to recreate Norman Rockwell for 10 years. and i pay for it. Easter sent me to the ER with chest pains a few years ago. so the question is: why am i willing to sabotage myself for another's comfort? why am i following in my mother's martyr-like footsteps, when it's the thing i most dislike? yet how can i feel strong and certain about most other areas of my life, my Self? this twinship of my spirit is something i need to meld. and i think therein lies the answer to the rest of my questions. i don't feel weak or needy or spiritually gapping...i feel strong and bold and certain. yet...

5 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

This is your one precious life. Yours. ONE.
That is all.
Oh, excpet, I love your precious heart and will whether you host monster thanksgiving or not ! ;)

Anonymous said...

Come spend Thanksgiving with me and we can spend all our free time making art!!!!

Anonymous said...

There is just so much in these last few posts that reaches out and grabs me by the scruff of the neck!

Family gatherings - I used to host thanksgiving, but my grandmother can no longer make the trip, so most of the family gathers at my uncle's place. Year after year I feel the guilt, but refuse to go because I just can't take the environment they create on that home (to them) turf. I'm perfectly happy making a smaller dinner for my nuclear family - it's just the blasted guilt I wish I could let go!!

I'm being faced with my own truths BIG TIME right now and I want so badly to purge like I've been doing with my house and belongings this fall, but I'm finding it MUCH easier to get rid of ill-fitting clothes than it is to get rid of ill-fitting beliefs.

Hope your Halloween offered you LOTS of play time - hoping Diva's participation means she's on the mend!

Bottom line - just be you Linda, do what your heart calls you to do and say f-you to the rest. You are amazing and full of so much truth and love, you deserve EVERY BIT of the goodness your life has to offer. I wish you could just come have Thanksgiving with me. Now THAT would be a holiday to remember!!

Take care sweetness,
Kelley

henrysmom said...

hey guys...how about a reunion in the woods for thanksgiving! *smile*
Linda

Barbara said...

I hope you find the strength to have the Thanksgiving that you want to have... One that will create lasting good memories that will sustain you over time.

Peace!