a Tiny description

a full time artist, stepmother, radio personality, and mom to an energetic Chug dog, tries to get through the days without committing a felonious act. My life is a rickety Zen circus.

____________________________________________________________________

Sunday, July 11, 2010

the miracle of Poetry

There is a wine...a very expensive wine...a $2,000.00 bottle of wine...called Poetry. every year for our anniversary, and occasionally on New Year's Eve, my husband and I go to the Brewster Inn in Cazenovia for dinner and/or an overnight in Room #2. (picture #6 if you follow the link and go to "gallery"). it's the one with the rooftop balcony overlooking the lake. A few years back, as I made my way through the buffet line at breakfast (Highly recommend), my eye wandered behind the omelet maker guy and there I saw what was to become the object of my obsession: a hardwood box with the word "Poetry" burned into it, containing a $2000.00 bottle of wine. it was the box i wanted. i ordered a "whatever" omelet - couldn't concentrate - had to have the box. then it got worse - behind the salmon and crabcake station, perched in a small shrine-like alcove...another box...different, but equally as desirable: Old Ghost. in a coffin-shaped hardwood box. and so began my water torture of the Innkeeper...every time we went, i would innocently ask if they had any extra boxes of Poetry or Old Ghost left over....from what who knows?? like P. Diddy just happened to yacht up to their back door and order the wine, but didn't want the box. who wouldn't want the box?? Old Ghost was only $300, but still. so this morning, husband and I went to brunch. and there were the two boxes staring at me. i advised my husband that i would setting my napkin on fire to create a diversion (after we ate) and would be snatching the box. i would leave the wine. i've had Very Expensive wine before. it was usually overrated. and the value of just the box was negligable, thus avoiding a felony, just a misdemeanor. as husband was paying, i wandered to the front of the Inn, and asked the desk person (again) about the possibilty of an empty box. she directed me to Kirk, the Wine Guy and Host. Kirk, although sympathetic, was not to be moved. so with a moment of silence, and a great sigh and big eyes, i thanked him and went outside. i began walking to the car, just grateful for a nice day, and a fantastic meal. from behind me i hear "Ma'am?" i don't usually answer to that, but turned, and there was Kirk with A BOX IN HIS HANDS! POETRY! the $2000 box with wine in it! he remembered - someone DID order the wine and didn't want the box. i couldn't speak. i just couldn't speak. for a minute anyway. then i told him he had no idea what that meant to me. and he doesn't. or maybe he suspects, but to an assemblage artist, this box is like finding the Holy Grail. i am terrified to use it just yet...afraid i may screw it up. i'll wait till the dust bunnies of the idea are more solid. until the certainty that my work will honor the great gift that was given me. and i will dedicate it to Kirk. is this not the perfect box?? ok. in other news...here is a necklace i've been working on...sorry for the blur. maybe i can find a box with a new camera in it....

1 comment:

Swirly said...

Crazy cool - I bet it is easy to notice something new about it every time you look at it. :)