a Tiny description

a full time artist, stepmother, radio personality, and mom to an energetic Chug dog, tries to get through the days without committing a felonious act. My life is a rickety Zen circus.

____________________________________________________________________

Sunday, January 08, 2012

wow. within minutes after my facebook farewell, i got no less than 10 emails asking why i was leaving, and 1 was pretty damn huffy. Here's the thing...I am happy to promote you here...my focus this year is all about helping to spread the word about workshops/ecourses/shops/extraordinary people, etc. and yes, I do recognize that facebook is a great vehicle for advertising - especially for small biz. heck, i promoted my website on my facebook page. i don't have a problem with using any technology that's available to you to get the word out. My issue with facebook is this: it is becoming the way people assume they are connecting with one another, exclusive of emails, letters, cards, phone calls, and old fashioned face-to-face cups of coffee. and that is not acceptable to me. someone clicking "like" after a comment should not replace a personal comment to that person. it's just how i roll. it makes people more isolated. i don't have a problem, per se, with facebook, or with a person promoting their whatever on facebook. just look at it as a sidedish, rather than the main course, is all i ask. it's like posting a billboard in someone's yard without thanking them, or asking them. don't forget to send an email to or call a friend you know is having a bad time, or celebrating a fantastic event. that was my only point. and since i'm no longer on facebook - don't forget me! i won't forget you. and as soon as i get a minute, i'll be updating my gadgets and sidebar to list some of the amazingly wonderful places on the web i'd love to share with you.

1 comment:

BJ Lantz said...

BRAVO to you! I have been a hold-out on FB all along. I always said if I'd wanted to keep up with people from high school, I would have. And yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it is a great way to stay connected with people flung all over the place, but I feel like it is like sending out a blanket email to everybody in your address book rather than personally connecting with the person/people you want to connect with. I totally get it. That being said I HAD to join the damned thing the other day to get on Pinterest, which I seriously love. So I created a business page for another website I have and left it at that. So, basically still not on FB and happy about it, LOL