a Tiny description

a full time artist, stepmother, radio personality, and mom to an energetic Chug dog, tries to get through the days without committing a felonious act. My life is a rickety Zen circus.

____________________________________________________________________

Thursday, June 03, 2010

it gets better

ok...details...as you may remember, about a month ago I finally hit the burnout wall at work. i've been doing virtually the same type of job since 1980. yes i am that old. anyway, i had had my fill. and i went to my manager and said so. after a weekend relaxation, and a root canal day off or two, i felt better and able to keep on, even though a little voice got louder saying "this is not what you have to put up with...this is not normal." so meanwhile, my manager asked me to bring in my resume - she knew of a position opening up and would personally hand my resume to the director. i did as she asked, even though i felt like i was signing my own divorce papers....leaving something bad, but still leaving and changing. things i don't do well. but i went along with it because i respect her and she asked me to, and besides, i had brought the issue to her in the first place. i could always say "no" if offered the job. interview day came, and i still didn't know what job i was interviewing for, but showed up in the "Large conference room" as directed. (there's only 1 conference room, but they always say "large"). (as if we'll wander about looking for another, smaller one). long story short, i got the job. at my same pay. and i was to start in 4 weeks, which would leave me time to clean up my old stuff, and learn Excel. (i may have mentioned that i had familiarity with this job-required program. i do not. and probably spelled it wrong). this morning, my manager informed me that they want me to start Monday. what?! and asked me not to say anything to anyone about getting the job yet. oy. a big secret. another thing i do not do well at. okay. she jets off to a meeting, and at 4pm, huddles us in the office and gives us the quick & dirty. the company is looking to cut back. bottom line, if i hadn't left the dept, then someone would have been laid off. so good news, double blessing - i get a new job and no one on my team loses theirs. bad news...our already Very Understaffed dept will be down to 2 people doing the job of 5. tears were shed. epithets thrown. half the dept (1 person) grabbed her purse and stalked out the door. she will be back but not happy. tomorrow is jeans day, and a party for me. i removed my flare from the office (except for the crow in her cage) and felt a little choked up. i've been with this dept since before it existed...many years ...well, 3 anyway. i'm glad to stay in the same company, and very grateful to have a job at all. a little sad to go, but not too far...just another part of the building. and the crow will have to come back home. they're a little more traditional in this new dept. for now. but i start on monday...are they ready?

1 comment:

Kim Mailhot said...

Phew...what a whirlwind ! Do you feel like a little piece of flotsam or jetsam (don't know exactly what either of these are) floating around on the big wide currents of the sea? Oh, I know you are not either of those - you have a Soul that speaks to you and tells you where to go and two feet that you can use to go where you really need to. Going with it, maintaining as much of yourself and your Soul as you can within it, and finding ways to build your strength within all of that is LIFE, I think.
I guess it will be All Excel all the time this weekend ? ;)
I say take a picture of the crow in its cage to use as your wallpaper on the computer at least !
Big love to you as you go through the ch-ch-changes !