a Tiny description

a full time artist, stepmother, radio personality, and mom to an energetic Chug dog, tries to get through the days without committing a felonious act. My life is a rickety Zen circus.

____________________________________________________________________

Saturday, September 25, 2010

yawn

my diva dog is home! when i walked in the door at Camp Grandma's Luxury Resort and Spoiling House for dogs, diva went right out of her natural puppy mind. she has a big, fierce shaved and stitched spot near her hip where the vet removed a lump. not to worry - no pics...too gross. she has sparkly teeth now, as well. and it is my job to watch her for the next 2 days and 2 nights to be sure she doesn't lick or bite her stitches. it was a long night. and an early morning. and i do it all with gladness that she is fine and there isn't cancer.i was up (for the final time) at 4am and it's nice to have the world to myself. diva is snoring in her "nest" behind the chair, and the cool morning air is drifting in the window...most welcome after yesterday's 91-degree heat wave out of nowhere. the air conditioning had already been put to bed for the season, so it was a restless night with cranky fans and too many blankets being kicked off and panting puppy trying to snuggle closer for the comfort of a missed mom. i've been reflecting on Squam, and my return. remembering that first year, where a week off from work after my return was essential, and not nearly enough...where the slightest whiff of woodsmoke or the hint of a special song could send tears streaming down my face and a gnawing homesickness prevailed for weeks, months, forever...even though i was in my own house. it was an awakening to how dead i had become to my own Self. this year was more graceful...still wishing to be back among kindred spirits and new & old friends, but less of a jarring Here vs. There feeling. and i realized that the spirit of There had stayed within me these past 3 years, and taken root as a tiny seed, which has grown into a tender vine within me...creeping throughout my spirit, my being, my Self...so the line was more smudged, and more of a recognition of sameness, rather than a plowing of new soil...it was the nurturing of something already growing, rather than the birthing of fallow ground into fullness. and that is welcome, and that is a smile and a nod. and in that state, i was finally able to reach more outward, and step outside my comfort zone more, artistically. i learned to paint. and despite sarah's contention that i always could, i say respectfully: uhnn uhnnnn. i owned all the tubes and pots of color, and sticks of this and drips of that, but to pick up a brush and PAINT? surely you're mad. i'd rather eat broccoli. but the ideas flow through me now and are realized on paper, canvas, gesso board. a most welcome oasis of expression after all these dry months spent avoiding my studio at all costs. and i do believe i'm going to head that way now, with the cool morning air drifting in my window, and the world to myself. thank you Elizabeth, once again.

3 comments:

Karen D said...

Hi Linda,
Just popping into to say hi.. I finally wrote about Squam on my blog but I have so much more to say about it, just too many stories.
Thanks again for my cool magnet, I have it up where I can see it everyday!
Big Hugs,
Karen D

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all is well with your puppy. I understand the snuggling - I've hardly had a minute since I got back when I didn't have at least one of my two kitties in my lap!!

Yay for you on catching the painting bug!! Can't wait to see where it takes you.

Kelley

Jennifer said...

Linda ~ I am able to relate so deeply with your transition back into life away from squam the first time you attended. The very first time I attended squam it was the same way. I had a very difficult transition back into the world and you described a feeling I have yet to realize...it was like a birth of a new path for me. One that did not exist before but I had to learn to tend to. After attending my second art retreat ~ Be Present ~ I had a much easier transition into my daily life. And I think it is because of what you said...the path was already there. The heart work of beginning it and recognizing it was complete. I owned it now, and just needed to tend to it now. Wow....thank you Linda for opening my eyes up to this.